It’s beginning to smell a lot like Bakemas…
This is my favourite time of the year, all twinkly lights on the tree and curling up under a soft blankie to watch Love Actually for the 100th time with a Snowball cocktail and binge eating M&S party food. And Hubby baking up a storm! There really is nothing quite like the smell of gingerbread cookies in the air on Christmas Eve to make you feel properly festive 🙂
That said, what he bakes is mostly gifted away to family in pretty jars or festive little bags of delicious. These are my Dad’s favourites and “better than anything shop bought!” (how’s that for a five star review!). Hubby swears they’re incredibly easy to make. I swear they’re incredibly easy to accidentally eat a ton of!
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4-6 cups of mixed nuts (try pecans, walnuts, cashews and macadamia)
- Preheat the oven to 175C (not fan).
- In a small bowl, add together the sugars, spices and salt and mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the egg white, water and vanilla extract, and whisk until frothy. Tip in the nuts and mix well until the liquid mixture coats all of the nuts.
- Next, add the sugar and spice mix and stir well, until the nuts are well coated.
- Tip it all into a roasting tin (or equivalent sized baking tin) and pop into the oven for 45 minutes, giving the nuts a good shoogle about every 15 minutes.
- When cool, store in an airtight tin. Keeps for about 2 weeks (if they last that long!)
- We like pecans making up at least half of the nut mix, they just seem to take to the spice mix best, but go with whatever nuts you like most 🙂